Valheim is a brutal open-world multiplayer survival game that throws players into the world of Norse mythology tasked with defeating Odin's rivals. The game has a crafting system, a huge procedurally generated world, boats to sail on, houses to create, and creatures to defeat.
Valheim is developed by Iron Gate AB and is published by Coffee Stain and is currently only available in Early Access via Steam. Considering that new players might have lots of questions about certain aspects of the game, here is a complete guide for Valheim that's full of useful tips and tricks for all levels of players.
Updated November 9th, 2021 by Joseph Carew: Valheim has been out for nine months and seen its first major update titled Hearth and Home. In this time, the developers have released a number of smaller changes to different creatures' spawn rates, how farming works, and made alterations to different biomes. With these changes and that recent major update, the following hub has been edited and updated with new guide content.
How to Find Specific Ores, Materials, and Items
This section of the Valheim guide will go over how to locate the various ores, materials, and important items that are scattered across the world. Here, players will learn how to find copper and leather scraps as well as where to get important items such as the Swamp Key. If a player is looking for something and can't seem to find it, this list should help that Valheim fan out.
- Every Ore in the Game
- How to Find Copper
- How to Make Bronze
- Where to Find Iron
- How to Get Silver Ore
- How to Get Obsidian
- How to Get Black Metal
- How to Get Flametal Ore
- How to Find Leather Scraps
- How to Get Flint
- How to Get Core Wood
- How to Get Greydwarf Eyes
- How to Get Fine Wood
- How to Get Bone Fragments
- How to Get Surtling Cores
- How to Get Ancient Bark
- How to Get Guck and What It Does
- What are Dragon Eggs for?
- How to Get Dragon Tears
- How to Get Tar
Valheim's Map and Biomes
In order to master Valheim, players need to understand its world. Valheim's world is one full of different biomes that players have to discover, understand, and master. This section details some of the more challenging areas of the game as well as touches on how large the entire world is.
- Valheim's Map Size
- Biomes Explained
- Best Map Seeds
- Best Starting Locations
- How to Survive the Swamp Biome
- How to Survive the Plains Biome
- What is the Ashlands Biome?
- The Deep North Biome Explained
How to Craft Armor, Arrows, Weapons, Tools, and Items
If there is anything more important than crafting tools in Valheim, it would be crafting items to defend oneself. The world can be quite the challenge for those players who haven't focused on building up their armor or weapons. Therefore this section is all about the important tools and items that players need to craft during a playthrough of Valheim. This list includes the various armor sets in the game as well as the long list of tools and weapons.
Valheim's Armor and Shields
- All Armor Sets
- How to Craft Wolf Armor and Stop Freezing
- How to Customize Armor
- All Capes
- Valheim's Best Shields
- How to Craft the Iron Buckler
- How to Craft the Bone Tower Shield
Valheim's Bows and Arrows
- All Weapon Types
- Weapon Tier List
- Every Sword in the Game Ranked
- Every Axe in the Game Ranked
- Every Club in the Game Ranked
- Every Spear in Valheim Ranked
- Every Two Handed Weapon Ranked
- How to Dual Wield
- How to Parry
- How to Get Iron Mace
- How to Craft the Crystal Battleaxe
- How to Get Stagbreaker
Valheim's Tools and Items
- How to Get Pickaxe
- How to Get Bronze Pickaxe
- How to Make and Use a Raft
- How to Craft and Use Cart
- How to Craft a Cartography Table
- Most Useful Tools
- How to Craft a Forge
- How to Craft an Artisan Table
Valheim players that are struggling to find and/or defeat any of the game's bosses can use this section to get the upper hand. With 5 powerful bosses to battle, players have quite the challenge ahead of them when starting a game. Each boss appears in a different biome in the world of Valheim and a playthrough brings players into contact with Eikthyr, the Elder, Bonemass, Moder, and finally Yagluth.
- How to Summon All Bosses
- How to Beat Eikthyr
- How to Summon and Beat the Elder
- How to Beat Bonemass
- How to Beat Moder
- How to Beat Yagluth
- All Valheim Bosses Ranked
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Valheim's Bosses
- Valheim's Forsaken Powers Ranked
Tips for Homes and General Construction
But, between challenging the various bosses in Valheim, players can create their dream Viking home with the help of their friends. The game has an elaborate crafting system in which players can create wood and stone structures as long as they have the right materials. This section details both the basics as well as some of the higher level building mechanics in Valheim.
- How to Build a House
- How to Level/Flatten Ground
- Structural Stability Guide
- How to Build a Fire Indoors
- Best Locations For a Base
- How to unlock Stone Buildings
- Valheim's Resting and Comfort Guide
- Best Base Defenses
- Advanced Building Tips
- Hearth and Home Update's New Building Options
Taming Animals, Farming, and Cooking
For some Valheim players, the Viking lifestyle is much better when combined with the domestication of animals and farming. Fortunately, there are several animals that can be tamed in Valheim and a bunch of seeds that can be planted. These guides below will help players figure out how to create the Viking farm of their dreams as well as how best to feed their Viking warrior.
Farming and Fishing
- Complete Farming Guide
- How to Find Onion Seeds
- How to Plant Seeds
- How to Fish
- How to Find Queen Bee and Get Honey
- All Cauldron Upgrades
- How to Craft an Iron Cooking Station
- How to Get and Use the Oven
- What are the Best Food Combos
- Valheim Fermenter Guide
Valheim Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
These general guides will be of great help to players that are just getting started in Valheim as well as those who are looking to learn even more after playing it for a while. Many elements and features in Valheim aren't explained fully to the player, so these will help any fans that have questions about early game topics and hidden features.
- Complete Guide for Beginners
- Common Mistakes
- Starting Tips
- How to Repair Tools
- How to Upgrade Workbench
- What Are Coins Used for
- How to Destroy Items
- Increasing Carry Weight
- How to Find the Trader to Buy Items
- Pro Tips for Valheim
- 10 Hidden Features
Set-up and Multiplayer Questions
- How to use Console Commands
- How to Setup a Dedicated Server
- How to Increase FPS and Improve Performance
- How to Setup a Server and Play with Friends
Valheim Community Builds and Reviews
Valheim, since its release, has seen quite a large number of impressive builds by its community. This section walks players through some of the more impressive creations as well as the reviews the game has received since its launch.
- Most Impressive Builds in Valheim
- Valheim Player Makes Working Airship
- Whiterun from Skyrim in Valheim
- Dragonsreach Recreated in Valheim
- Valheim Early-Access Review
News and Updates for Valheim
Valheim's developers promise more and more content as the game matures. Already home to one major update, Hearth and Home, Valheim will likely continue to see new additions and adjustments to its gameplay. This section is for those Valheim fans looking to check in on the latest changes to the game.
- Valheim's Content Roadmap
- Valheim's Hearth and Home Update
- Valheim Jack-o-Lantern Update
- Is the Game Coming to Consoles?
Valheim is currently available in Early Access on PC via Steam.
The Super Mario series has no shortage of spin-offs, but it’s lacking a true platformer that brings the franchise’s princesses together.